Prevention and Early Detection
FH Medical is pleased to introduce our new Healthy Heart Program.
At FH Medical, we place a huge emphasis on heart disease and early prevention. Our goal is to promote primary prevention and improve our patient’s quality of life. We are passionate about educating our patients about cardiac health through counseling, nutrition, lipid management, and stress management.
Your prevention starts with knowing your risk. Nine in ten Canadians have at least one risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Almost 80% of premature heart disease and stroke can be prevented through healthy behaviours. That means habits like eating healthy, being active and living smoke free, have a big impact on your health.
The goal of our Healthy Heart Program is about finding modifiable risk factors for heart disease in order for patients to be proactive about their health and disease risk. We then help patients discover their underlying risk factors for heart disease and help them make changes to reduce their risk.
There are specific factors that increase your chances of developing problems with the heart and blood vessels.
Controllable Risk Factors:
- High Blood Pressure: Over time, high blood pressure can lead to heart attacks, strokes, or a thick heart muscle (hypertrophy), which can eventually lead to heart failure, a form of heart disease.
- High Cholesterol: Too much bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) can lead to blockage of the arteries, which raises the risk of heart disease.
- Smoking: Smoking Increases blood pressure and contributes to the development of blocked arteries, putting you at a higher risk.
- Lack of Exercise: People who do not exercise regularly are at greater risk of having heart disease.
- Diabetes: If blood sugar levels are not controlled, the risk of heart disease severely increases.
- Unhealthy Diet: Risks are greater for people who do not eat enough fruit and vegetables. Eating foods that contain trans-fat, high amounts of saturated fats, and sodium can also increase the risk of heart disease. Being overweight or obese increases your risk of developing a wide range of serious diseases and conditions, including heart disease.
- Stress: High levels of stress or prolonged stress may result in high cholesterol, increased blood pressure, or disturbances in heart rhythm. These conditions increase the risk of developing heart disease.
Uncontrollable Risk Factors:
- Family History: Your risk of heart disease is higher if any immediate family members (parents, brothers, sisters, etc.) have had a heart attack, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure.
- Age: Your risk of developing heart disease increases with age. This applies especially to men over the age of 45 and women who have gone through menopause or are over the age of 55.
What to Expect
Let us help you discover your inherent risk factors and provide ways to reduce them.
Our Healthy Heart Program goes beyond the traditional lipid panel. Finding those hidden risk factors will help you make the changes needed to improve your heart health, leading to a longer, healthier life.
There will be two visits with our medical team, including our physician, a registered dietitian and a registered nurse.
Your visits will include:
- An overall review of your heart health and history
- Advanced atherosclerotic disease assessment test through the Mayo Clinic
- Assessment of inflammatory factors correlated with heart disease through the Cleveland HeartLab
- We will check your:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Blood cholesterol
- Fatty acid profile
- Peripheral Arterial Disease screening test
- Receive education about your heart health
- Dietitian consultation counseling about:
- Healthy eating habits
- Exercise routine
- Lifestyle modification to reduce cardiovascular risk
- One-month supply of Metagenics Omega Supplement, only available to certified physicians
FH Medical has partnered with the Mayo clinic to provide an advanced blood test that is used to predict adverse cardiovascular events in patients with progressing coronary artery disease (CAD). The test measures blood concentrations of plasma ceramides, a class of lipids that are highly linked to cardiovascular disease. This test helps our physicians evaluate patients at risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD), not available at traditional laboratories.
Did you know? 50% of patients who have a heart attack or stroke have normal cholesterol levels.
FH Medical has partnered with the Cleveland HeartLab to provide our Healthy Heart patients with three advanced heart health screening tests to determine if you are at risk. Our physicians are focused on the early detection of and prevention of CVD. With the goal of improving CVD risk assessment, Cleveland HeartLabs unique testing provides a more complete picture of CVD risk allowing our physicians to provide an improved personalized medical detection and prevention plan.
The tests include:
- Measure inflammation levels to identify hidden risks that can be missed with standard lipid testing.
- A test that measures the levels of TMAO (trimethylamine-N-oxide) in your blood. TMAO is produced by the interaction between the bacteria in your gut and the food and nutrients you take in.
- The PULS (Protein Unstable Lesion Signature) Cardiac Test measures key clinical risk factors including age, sex, diabetic status, family history of heart attack, and distinct protein biomarkers.
By partnering with the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland HeartLab, we are able to provide our patients with a series of cardiovascular tests that utilize novel biomarker to determine their risk factor of heart disease.
We are dedicated to reducing risks for heart and blood vessel diseases and improving the heart.
Call now for your FREE consultation and to learn about our Healthy Heart Program.